[kepler-dev] Duplicated jar contents.

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 14 13:14:36 PST 2005

I'll "me-to" on this one.

One can really try to have just the right classes loaded but in
reality it is very difficult to be sure that everything is correct.
Even if the right jar files are present, updates in the jar files
might cause problems.

Tests in the nightly build catch many errors including these errors.

After having the same Ptolemy demos break time after time, I've
started creating versions of the demos that run in the nightly build
and test against known good output.

BTW - A good practice is that if you fix a bug, write a test case before
fixing the bug and then update the test case after fixing the bug.

_Christopher

Matt writes:
--------

    Oh and another thing.  This is one reason why we NEED the automated
    tests for every actor and system component.  When a new jar is added, or
    the version of an existing jar is changed, running the tests should
    expose any runtime problems that might not show up at compile time.  So
    I can't emphasize enough: develop JUnit tests for your code, and develop
    effective workflow tests that exercise your actors.  We'll all be a lot
    better off in that scenario.

    Matt