[kepler-dev] Metacat and MyProxy Running on Roadrunner (fwd)

Jing Tao tao at mercury.nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 18 12:07:11 PDT 2005

Jing Tao
National Center for Ecological
Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
735 State St. Suite 204
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:48:55 -0500
From: Bill Baker <bbaker at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To: ltergrid at nsf-middleware.org
Subject: Re: Metacat and MyProxy Running on Roadrunner

To follow up on the questions raised in yesterday's conference call,

1. Incompatibility between GSI server-side connector and Tomcat 5.5:

Yes, what Terry said.  Some of the Tomcat classes that the connector depends on
have been repackaged in 5.5, and so the connector can't link to them.  I
suspect that it wouldn't be hard to update the connector, but I haven't tried.

2. Duplicate LDAP UIDs:

We configure OpenLDAP, which provides the PAM back end, to only look at one
organizational unit, specifically "o=lter,dc=ecoinformatics,dc=org", within
LTER's LDAP.  Within each organizational unit, the UIDs are unique.

Practically speaking, I don't know how we would manage multiple LDAP domains --
theoretically, I can think of a few alternatives, but they all have drawbacks.

     - Extend the PAM sequence to include organization in addition to UID
       Problem: MyProxy currently only supports username+password

     - Encode the organization name into the PAM username
       Problem: that's a lot for people to remember