[kepler-dev] current state of saved specialized actors and repository

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 21 13:16:01 PDT 2004

1 & 2 are already in place in Ptolemy II.  For 3, the big
issue is how to mediate multiple contributions.  A while back,
we experimented with a peer-to-peer approach for this...
Kind of Napster for actors. I.e., you maintain a library and
publish its availability, and others can discover it through
a publish-and subscribe.  The implementation used JXTA (or maybe it
was Jini, I forget...).

The downsides, as I recall are:

  1) Getting the P-to-P mechanism to work across firewalls.

  2) Making it work for people like me, who work principally
     on laptops, and are only sporadically connected.

I think these are solvable problems... Suppose I could locally
maintain a library of "my contributions", and when my machine
is on the net, it uses P-to-P to update a local cache of
"global contributions"...  I don't know how to fix the firewall
problem, though...  Perhaps the access mechanism has to be HTTP...

Edward