[kepler-dev] current state of saved specialized actors and repository

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Tue Sep 21 11:59:56 PDT 2004

Hi:

A quick question on the current state of the art in "saving
specialized actors in the user lib. and/or repository".

Here is the application example:

1. A parameterizable actor say the web service actor or the command
line actor is specialized by the user to invoke a specific web service
or cmd line tool (say R, with a specific R script as parameter)

2. After the desired specialization the user wants to save back this
actor as a "first-class citizen" (composite) actor back into the user
library, so that it can be used as if it were a native actor

3. When confident that a useful new actor has been so created, the
user may wish to publish it in the central Kepler actor repository
(which of course can be dynamically browser/searched from Kepler)

If we have (1-3) nicely in place, we can start to have Kepler users
contribute new workflows as new composite actors. Having ways of
semantically describing inputs, outputs, overall function, and adding
other annotations will be important as well for the functionality of
the Kepler actor repository...

Bertram