[kepler-dev] Re: GRASS in Kepler

Jianting Zhang jzhang at lternet.edu
Sun Oct 24 12:47:02 PDT 2004

Hi, Bertram and Ramon:

As an alternative to Chad's Web Service solution (located at
kepler\webservice\src\org\ecoinformatics\seek\webservice\gis\grass) which
invokes GRASS executables at the sever side, I have implemented three GIS
actors (Convex Hull, Rasterization, Buffering) by writing interfacing codes
with GRASS source codes and compiling them into DLLs which again are called
in Java code. I have tested them with a variety of grid sizes from 10*10 to
10000*10000 and they are working fine and finish in seconds in my desktop.

Although these three actors are developed primarily for SEEK Ecological
Niche Modeling (ENM), I think the implementations are generic enough to be
used for other purposes. We are working to integrate these actors into the
next Kepler release. If you want to have a preview, the source codes are
available at ftp://ftp.lternet.edu/pub/outgoing/jzhang/. I will be glad to
have a talk with GEON people who have interests in implementing more GIS
actors. Also from research perspective, I'm interested in spatial semantic
issues of GIS actors. Maybe we can talk more about it during KU meeting.

Jianting

Jianting Zhang
SEEK Post-doc Research Associate
LTER Network Office