[kepler-dev] supplementing "Get Documentation" functionality

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 22 15:31:52 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've been trying to override the current "GetDocumentation" menu item
and associated GetDocumentationAction in Kepler with a new version in
order to supplement it.  This new version would, like the old, get
static html files for the classes, but it would also know how to get
dynamically generated documentation for some of our customized actors
(like DataSources).  In order to replace this function, I've created a
new "DataSourceInstanceController" class that extends
ActonInstanceController and a related
"DataSourceInstanceControllerFactory" class.  I've discovered, however,
that the use of ActorInstanceController seems to be hard-coded into the
method ActorEditorGraphController._createControllers().  A couple of
questions:

1) How can I override this to use my DataSourceInstanceController
instead?  Is it configurable?
2) How can I make DataSourceInstance Controller extend
ActorInstanceController and override the GetDocumentationAction inner
class that is defined up the class hierarchy in NamedObjController?
Right now when I override it manually I get two menu items, because the
AttributeController constructor is still being called (via super()).

Thanks for the help,

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara