[kepler-dev] Re: Building a specialized composite actor (Ilkay Altintas)

Werner G. Krebs wkrebs at sdsc.edu
Wed Oct 13 13:03:09 PDT 2004

The problem we (and other projects doing similar work) are grappling
with involves long-running, highly parallel scientific jobs.

While we'd like to let scientific end-users control, monitor, and modify
these jobs using a Kepler GUI, the jobs really need to be run through a
specialized grid meta-clustering system (currently Nimrod or APST, which
may call any of a number of sub-systems on specific clusters, such as
NQS, PBS, SGE, Condor, &c).

Traditional Kepler actors are fine for submitting, controlling, and
monitoring the jobs.

The problem is that the jobs themselves often compromise a workflow in
and of themselves, often under the control (as in our case) of legacy
software that re-arranges the tasks into a sub-workflow.

An end-user scientist can't control the order of execution of these
tasks (due to the legacy software setup) but still can control whether a
particular stage (or parallel execution path) executes or not.

This looks like a workflow and should be represented as such in the
Kepler GUI as some sort of special composite actor to be submitted to
the grid submission actor. (The actor might be more of an operator than
a function). Scientists won't be allowed to rearrange the order of the
pipes, or delete or add actors, but they could turn actors on or off.

This composite actor workflow then gets converted into an XML
representation (somehow) that is understood by the grid submission
engine actor, which then submits the XML workflow toApst or Nimrod.

Our simple immediate solution (between EOL and the Resurgence project)
was to have Kepler actors that have an "on or off" parameter. If the
actor is "on" it will copy its income XML, and add an additional line to
that XML to represent its own task. If the actor is "off", it will
simply copy its input(s) to its output.

In this way, the output of the composite actor would be an XML
representation describing the selected workflow to the grid submission
actor, which will then submit it to the grid submission engine.
Traditional kepler actors (which might be added or reconfigured by the
user) will then allow monitoring, controlling, re-starting, &c, of this job.

Since we want to present this to scientists (who would be allowed to
reconfigure other parts of the workflow, but not the composite actor) we
need to make this composite actor "write-protected." The scientist would
be allowed to change parameters of actors in this special composite
actor, but not delete any of the sub-actors, or change the way they are
connected (since the underlying legacy software that will actually be
executing this workflow does not support these other configurations or
the XML files they might produce, breaking the work-flow.) Unlocking the
actor would bring up a warning dialog that this is for experts and that
any changes to the composite actor might break legacy software elsewhere
in the system. This is fairly user-friendly solution, in that it allows
scientists to use the full power of Kepler for the monitoring parts of
the system, but prevents them from (accidentally) modifying the special
composite actor representing the workflow implemented in legacy software.

In the longer term, the semantics of the legacy software might be
described to Kepler, so that Kepler could figure out which actors were
write-protected and which weren't. Some sub-actors in this special
composite actor might be deleteable (i.e., their absence supported by
legacy software) and others not.

For now, however, simply adding a dialog to write-protect aspects of the
composite actor's workflow should be good enough.

We were wondering if anyone had suggestions on how best to do this.
--
Werner G. Krebs, Ph.D.
Technical Lead, Encyclopedia of Life Project (http://eol.sdsc.edu)