[kepler-dev] Screentshots for registry search

Jing Tao tao at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 6 14:08:25 PDT 2004

Hi, Chris:

Thanks for your input! I comment my thought below you orginal one.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Christopher Jones wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:40:13 -0800
> From: Christopher Jones <cjones at lifesci.ucsb.edu>
> To: Jing Tao <tao at nceas.ucsb.edu>
> Cc: Bertram Ludaescher <ludaesch at sdsc.edu>, kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org,
>      bzhu at sdsc.edu
> Subject: Re: [kepler-dev] Screentshots for registry search
>
> Jing,
>
> Thanks for providing the URLs.  That makes it easy to have a quick look.
>
> Given that UI considerations are completely subjective, please take my comments
> with a grain of salt...

> My first thought is that putting the 'Change Search Context" button on the data
> tab somewhat clutters the tab.  Also, the meaning of this isn't super apparent
> from an end user perspective.  It strikes me as a 'Preferences' dialog, and so
> I'd suggest that the button be removed in favor of an Edit --> Preferences
> dialog ( or Tools --> Options for Windows).  In fact, it seems that any Kepler
> configuration should follow this convention.  This would also allow you some
> screen real estate in the Preferences panel to explain what is meant by 'search
> context' for those that are unfamiliar with searching multiple services.

I don't satify the word "Search Context" either. But I couldn't find a
better one. This is the reseaon I asked for reviewing :).  Change the
button to a menu item is a good idea. But this will involve ptolemy UI
changes. This is why we put a button as a short cut.

> Screen #2 could be the 'Searching' preference dialog, or the 'Data Sources'
> dialog.  I guess I'm thinking that the word 'Context' does not ring true for me.
>   The wording should indicate that the user is configuring the data sources that
> are to be searched.
>
> Layout: change screen #2 in order to follow some of the basic dialog box
> conventions:
>    - the 'Remove', 'Search Registry', 'Save', and 'Cancel' buttons are
> vertically centered between the scroll box and the bottom.  These should be
> 'anchored' to the screen bottom with the same margin as you see on the right side.
>
>    - the scrollbox should extend to the newly located buttons within the same
> margin distance as seen on the right of the 'Cancel' button.  Likewise, the
> scrollbox crowds the dialog edges.  Give it margins equal to the buttons.
>
>    - the header should be left-margined the same as the dialog box.  Of course,
> if this were all in an Edit --> Preferences dialog, it would often be Titled in
> a groupbox.
>
> The 'Search Registry' button is really just a surrogate to 'Add' (which you use
> in a later screen as the end result).  I would change 'Search Registry' to 'Add'
> so the user is aware that the end result is to add a data source. (It also pairs
> nicely with 'Remove' =))
>
> "End Point' and 'Document Type' columns:
>
>    - the End Point is merely informational, and helps the user understand the
> location of the service.  From a jargon perspective, you might label the column
> 'Location' or the like.
>
>    - as for the doctype column - most end users are going to be lost on the
> meaning of PUBLIC or SYSTEM identifiers. Most will not make the connection
> between 'Data Sources' and metadata document types.  There's alot of info in
> this column that the user is choosing - different specifications with different
> levels of detail, different versions of the same specification, etc.  Unless the
> end user is fluent in metadata specifications, this column will only confuse
> them.  I don't have a good answer, but perhaps a friendlier name would help (EML
> 2.0.0 Datasets, Darwin Core 1.0 Datasets, etc.).  Granted, the friendly name
> should be stored on the service side and rendered, rather than being hardcoded
> into the app.  Also, maybe change the column to 'Data Specification' or 'Data
> Type', or 'Data Description'.

Those suggestions are very nice. I will use it.

> If this dialog is to stay this simple, I would reduce the dialog screen size so
> that margins adhere to the margins described above.  Buttons need to be
> relocated as above as well. Also, some explanatory text would help this dialog a
> lot.
>
> I'd look at the search dialog in Morpho, however, if this dialog were to be
> expanded in functionality at all. (Repeatable terms, choice of operator, etc.)
> Of course, this depends on the ricness of the registry query API.

The schema for ecogrid service registry is pretty simple and probably we
may use a simple GUI. Of course we need to reduce the size of this screen.

> Here, again, follow the button and scrollbox margin recommendations.
> 'Add' could be changed to 'OK'.  One question about the behavior of this UI - in
> the 'canada' search result screen, if the user only selects *only* EML 2.0.0
> Datasets to be searched, will the 'Current Search Context' be configured to only
> show EML 2.0.0 Datasets as a choice, or does it return all possibilities from
> the service, with EML 2.0.0 checked?  If it's the latter, I'd say that this
> screen is a bit redundant with the first, and that it should only display the
> Service Name as a 'hit', perhaps with the endpoint location as extra info.

For the qestion, the answer is former rather than latter. This can give
user more flexibility.

> Jing, I hope this helps - but it's all just subjective opinions.
>
> Best,
> Chris

> christopher jones     cjones at lifesci.ucsb.edu      (805) 680-5946
> marine science institute  university of california, santa barbara

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Jing

--
Jing Tao