[kepler-dev] Screentshots for registry search

Rod Spears rods at ku.edu
Wed Oct 6 13:25:18 PDT 2004

We appreciate your input and I am not trying to discourage it at all,
but I think Jing was just trying to give us kind of an overview of what
the major UI components and how they would be used. Working out the
finer details of layout etc. is something I figured we would address
during implementation.

As far as getting into the an over all discussion of what appears to be
intuitive or make sense for the user... I think we are a long ways from
that. It is universally accepted that the current UI is for the most
advanced user. There really isn't much UI here that really lends itself
to a novice user. In fact, the state of the Kepler UI (for SEEK) is
really just a "work in progress" or maybe even "proof of concept"
because basically we are still "inventing" how this works.

At some point we will have a majority of the functionality implemented
and then I think we can step back and address many of the UI issues.
Plus, our UI resource (Laura) will have been playing around with Kepler
and getting to understand the mental model of the of various different
users and will be able craft a UI that meets the needs of the project.

One could argue that saving the UI until later is bad approach, but
since we do not completely understand how all of this will work and what
all the capabilitites of Kepler are, I think it is the most pragmatic
approach.

I guess in a nutshell, we are building a prototype from which the "real"
tool will be created from.

I hope this provides a little perspective on where we are at. But
getting input is always good and can be used Laura at a later date.

Thanks,
Rod