[kepler-dev] Problems with JRE 1.4.2_05 and 1.4.2_06

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Nov 21 11:46:12 PST 2004

Hi All,

    I have added an argument to the java command line in the CVS build
file to corrent problems that were seen with JREs 1.4.2_05 and _06. The
problem that was seen was with ecogrid searches and it had been
previously reported by Jing that is could be corrected by creating a
special directory (lib/endorsed) under the java_home and moving the copy
of the xalan.jar file from kepler to there. Apparently, the version that
is shipped with the newer versions of the Java runtime is incompatible
with the one in kepler/lib/jar/apache (I suspect that the java copy is a
newer version). Sun discusses the issue of 'endorsed' jars and how to
override them in its documentation. The default location is apparently
the JAVA_HOME/lib/endorsed directory, but apparently the same effect can
be achieved by setting the system property 'java.endorsed.dirs'. I have
thus added the jvm arg

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=./lib/jar/apache

to the command line used to launch kepler to achieve the same effect as
moving the files in the apache dir. This seems to fix the problems we
were seeing with the newer versions of Jave without having to create
directories and moving files. Let me know if this causes any problems.

Dan Higgins