[kepler-dev] complex data types and web service harvester..

Ilkay Altintas altintas at sdsc.edu
Thu Nov 4 13:47:02 PST 2004

> IA> annotation. Shawn and I have been working on it since then. It is
> IA> almost working again including the dynamic registy of services
> into the
> IA> actor library.
>
> good news! So I guess it'll be in the upcoming beta release, right?

Yes.

> IA> There might be a way to map complex
> IA> XMLSchema types but I couldn't yet come up with a method that maps
> any
> IA> XMLSchema type to a Ptolemy type. Any suggestions on this are
> welcome.
>
> I suggest to discuss it ;)
> Maybe we can have a meeting/Kepler phone conf on this.

ok. A meeting for discussion would be good. Do you think it might be
made part
of your Kepler discussions in Kansas? Then we can meet here with you and
Shawn and follow up on the discussion.

> Oh-- btw: I would like to suggest also to have a Kepler wiki similar
> to the SEEK wiki. We could have a more high-level
> user-readable/friendly discussion board this way.

I think it is a great idea. I have asked to SDSC web group and they
said we
can have it through SDSC's web server facilities. We need to tell them
which
Wiki implementation we want.  They said we can leverage an existing
domain
name or user account under SDSC. We can keep track of write acces,
etc...
And there are some more details to discuss if we wanna do it.

> So there might be a
> page for each of the following:
> (1) Complex XML Schema types and WS-Harvester
> (2) Kepler actor repository
> (3) Semantic types
> (4) ...
>
> A stylesheet for the discussion might help, e.g.
> (A) Intro to the problem/issue
> (B) Specific issues/suggestions
> (C) Comments
>
> Comments should be open to anyone; other sections of the discussion
> might only be editable by Kepler members.
>
> what do you think?
>
> I find both the bugzilla as well as the mailing list not ideal for
> some of these discussions.. maybe a Wiki-based forum might help to
> bundle the issues
>
> IA> I know Jesus et al. had the same problem in the bio. workbench and
> they
>
> right .. hence the cc..
>
> IA> decided to build static clients for their web services instead of a
> IA> dynamic proxy. We can also try similar approach if there are web
> IA> services that require special type handling.
> IA>
> IA> If I remember right from the Seek meeting in may, the web services
> from
> IA> Kansas had java object types. So it might not be possible to use
> the
> IA> web service actor as a client for them.
>
> why not? Are they incompatible?? That's an interesting (sub-)issue
> (1.x) for (1) above.

They have complex java types that we can use within the kepler/ptolemy
type
system without introducing a new type. (I'm not sure if the object type
can
be used for this purpose though.)