[kepler-dev] Dynamically updating the options of a choice style parameter

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat May 29 08:40:19 PDT 2004

At 02:16 PM 5/28/2004 -0700, Ilkay Altintas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>With the changes in the version 4.0 of Ptolemy II, does anybody
>know if it is possible to update the selection contents of a choice
>style parameter depending on the value of another parameter?
>
>An example application to this is the web service client actor.
>I need to update the set of available operations of an actor depending
>on the url of the web service description file.
>
>Using the changes in v4.0, I can add choices to a parameter during actor
>configuration without having to go back to the MoML file. Is there a way
>to show this changes immediately without having to close and reopen
>the actor configuration window?
>
>Thanks,
>Ilkay

There isn't really a mechanism built in for this, and it looks like
it would not be all that easy to add... I'm not even sure whether the
underlying Java ComboBox widget supports this...

However, it might be useful to know that you can completely customize
the UI that you get when edit the parameters of an actor ...  See
for example ptolemy.vergil.toolbox.TextEditorConfigureFactory,
which modifies the container so that when you edit its parameters
you get a text editor rather than an instance of PtolemyQuery.
It is used by the PythonScript actor in MoreLibraries/Python,
for example.

Edward

Edward A. Lee, Professor
518 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
phone: 510-642-0455, fax: 510-642-2739
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal