[kepler-dev] Re: [SDM-SPA] javadoc, junit, installer for Windows

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 30 18:05:07 PST 2004

BTW - My method of building installers is to create signed jar files
for the various components and then use these signed jar files in
WebStart to create one master installation that should in theory work
for all platforms.

I then take unsigned versions of the jar files and use these with
InstallAnywhere.

The advantage of use WebStart is that it is much faster to
rebuild a jar and substitute it into the WebStart directories and then
download just that jar file than it is to rebuild an InstallAnywhere
Installer, uninstall the old installation, download the possibly huge
installer and reinstall.

In principle, the way we create a WebStart configuration is
conceptually similar to how build.xml probably works, except our jar
files are listed in a makefile instead of in build.xml(?)  The
makefile automatically generates the WebStart configurations from the
jar files listed in $PTII/mk/jnlp.mk

I have a random collection of notes about WebStart at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/ptII3.0.2/doc/webStartHelp.htm

However, I still need to configure InstallAnywhere by hand.
The InstallAnywhere file format is XML, so in theory the file
could be configured by hand.  One issue with InstallAnywhere is that
it is tricky to create multiple installers.  One can have
an installer with multiple packages in it (full, docs, examples),
but it is tricky to create a smaller installer that has just the
minimum.

BTW - We are currently using InstallAnywhere Enterprise.
There is InstallAnywhere Standard edition, but it does
not support USER_MAGIC_FOLDERS, which we needed to set up a shortcut
folder in 2002.  The details are a bit foggy, but basically I wanted
to create
Start -> Programs -> Ptolemy -> Ptplot 5.2
instead of
Start -> Programs -> Ptplot 5.2
because the Ptolemy project has several different products, and
it is better if they are grouped together.

We ended up upgrading to InstallAnywhere Enterprise, which is roughly
$1500/year for one seat.

If you can use the free version of InstallAnywhere, then that would be
great.

Note that there is also a InstallAnywhere Mac OS X Edition that is
extra, I'm not sure what it gets you.

I'm disappointed that NSIS does not support Mac OS, I was going to try
it out.  Locally, the Ptolemy group has no Mac users, though I do have
access to a Mac OS X laptop.  I would like to work with Mac OS X users
on getting Ptolemy II to work better on that platform.

There is a list of limitations at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/mac.htm

Ptolemy II requires Java 1.4 or later because we use the java.net.URI
and Exception chaining.

JDK 1.2.2 has a bug involving compiling inner classes with protected
methods.

The RTOS domain uses java.util.Timer, which is present in JDK 1.3
and later.

I don't think Mac OS 9.x has a Java 1.4 installation.

http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/index.html#gen_5 says:
>Q: Is there a J2SE release for Mac OS 9 and earlier?

>A: The latest Mac OS Runtime for Java on Mac OS 9 provided a 1.1.8
>Java VM. There are no plans to bring any versions of J2SE to Mac OS
>9. If you are looking to make use of certain extension APIs on Mac OS
>9, such as Swing, JavaHelp, or the newer Collections API, keep in
>mind that you can download 1.1.x versions of these libraries from
>http://java.sun.com.

I don't have much interest in supporting Mac OS 9.x users, but
if there were trivial patches necessary to support Ptolemy under MacOS
9.x, I would fold them in.

Xiaowen Xin <xin2 at llnl.gov> writes:
> I don't have any experience on Mac OS; do you know what kind of package
> management system it uses?

I don't know either.  I'd wager that rpm has been ported to Mac OS X.
rpm is available under Cygwin and Solaris.

> Since Mac OS X is a BSD with some modifications, do you think the
> scientists can be expected to know how to run a shell script?  It
> should be easy to distribute a shell script (like Sun does with
> Java) for the Unix users.

Yes, Mac OS X users could run shell scripts, though that is a little
bear skins and stone knives.  The advantage of WebStart is that the
user gets a more modern click-to-install installer, the disadvantage
is that everything is bundled up in jar files, so it makes it harder
for WebStart users to extend the system.

I think that Mac OS X users could certainly handle the
"./configure; make fast" method of installing Ptolemy II.
Presumably they could do something similar for installing your
products.

At the risk of repeating myself, as I said earlier, I had tried
InstallShield, and it was not very good.  Maybe it is better now.

I have some notes from March 19, 2001 about the InstallShield limitations
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII1.0/installshield.htm#bugs
Currently, regular InstallShield installers from Sun for JDK1.5.0-beta
hang on my machine for several minutes.  I really cannot recommend
InstallShield.

-Christopher

--------

    Our future users are also Mac based (e.g., Astrophysics)
    :-)
    mav