[kepler-dev] More on packaging / organizing Kepler

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 24 11:53:40 PST 2004

Ptolemy does support plug-ins.  It supports them at multiple levels:

  - actors
  - directors
  - user interfaces
  - on-line documentation

The latter two are based on the "configuration" mechanism, which you
can use to create a separately branded application that includes
whatever subset of Ptolemy II you find useful.  A "configuration"
is itself a Ptolemy II model, so they are fairly easy to build...
The configuration defines what object is used to open and display
the contents of a file, for example, and what is displayed on the
startup splash screen, and what the help menus point to, etc.

I think the key issue is to design Kepler to maximize the leverage
it gets from existing Ptolemy II facilities, rather than just replacing
them wholesale.  This may require, at times, modifying the plug-in
mechanisms to make them more flexible.

For example, one of the user interface enhancements that Kepler needs
is a better browser for libraries in the left pane of a vergil window.
While current plug-in mechanisms make it easy to replace the entire
vergil window, they don't make it easy to replace just that pane.
Hence my previous email suggesting how to enhance the plug-in
capability so that a configuration can specify what goes in that
pane.

Edward