[kepler-dev] More on packaging / organizing Kepler

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Wed Mar 24 09:19:06 PST 2004

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any motivation to create a version of
Ptolemy that allowed for "plug-ins" (e.g., like in many Microsoft
products, Mozilla, and Protege, which has *many* very nice and fairly
complex plug-ins that have been created by various groups).

It seems like this would solve a number of problems: (1) it wouldn't
force Kepler to keep a separate Ptolemy branch (i.e., everytime a new
Ptolemy version came out, Kepler would need to be reworked); (2) the
Ptolemy source would not need to be included with Kepler; (3) different
organizations could develop their own plug-ins and suite of plug-ins;
(4) it would reduce much of the management burden from Kepler
developers; and (5) it would minimize backward compatibility issues
(unless a new Ptolemy release forced this).

In general, it is my understanding that the Kepler extensions (at least
currently) do not require changes to Ptolemy and are really "extensions"
-- if this holds so that the plug-in model is feasible, I think it would
be a much more elegant solution to many of the current problems.

Anyway, I am not a Kepler developer, just an outside observer, but I
just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Shawn