[kepler-dev] Re: [SDM-SPA] Setting up Eclipse to access the Kepler repository

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 19 15:04:23 PST 2004

Professor Lee and others are using Eclipse.
Our most recent notes can be found at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly/doc/coding/eclipse.htm

There is a bug with Eclipse-2.1.2 and recent versions of CVS.
The above page covers a fix.

Personally, I find the Eclipse/CVS interface difficult to use because
it does not handle compression of 4 through 9, so it take forever to
check out a tree over the rural DSL I have at home.
Another issue is that out of the box Eclipse 2.1 uses ssh1 and not
ssh2.

Still, Eclipse is fairly promising, and I encourage new Ptolemy
developers to use it.

We have talked about creating Eclipse plugins to create actors.

-Christopher

--------

    MJ> Unless he can use relative paths in the eclipse config, its unlikely
    MJ> that his eclipse configuration will work for others because they'll hav
    MJ> different locations for the kepler checkout.  So I'm not sure its
    MJ> particularly useful as a checkin, unless there is other info other than

    MJ> the locations of the jar files.  Maybe he could add a description to th
    MJ> README or the website on how to set up the Eclipse environment as an
    MJ> alternative?

    Yep -- probably a README would be adequate for starters.

    Also, if I'm not mistaken, Ptolemy folks use Eclipse and may have used
    this with the Kepler source.

    MJ> Also, TortoiseCVS is quite simple -- I can usually download the sw,
    MJ> configure it, and check out a module in less than 5 minutes. Subsequent

    MJ> checkouts are of course even faster.  Are you using a recent version?
    MJ> Maybe an upgrade would be in order if so.  If that's not it, what are
    MJ> you having difficulties with?  Maybe one of us can help.
    MJ>
    MJ> Matt
    MJ>
    MJ> Zhengang Cheng wrote:
    >> Dear Dave,
    >>
    >>> From outside like us, we need to set eclipse to access through SSH.
    >> The method I know is trhough TortoiseCVS and quite complex. Do you know
    >> easy way to access CVS via SSH?
    >> The outline you gave is great, mine is more complex. I think it may be g
   ood
    >> that you check in all the configurations also into CVS, so we can use
    >> directly without the need for configuring path etc.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Zhengang

   Of