[kepler-dev] Re: [SDM-SPA] RFC new directory structure

Vouk vouk at ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 17 20:27:18 PST 2004

Xiaowen Xin wrote:

>Hi Mladen,
>
>Actually, right now, new development goes into src/ just like all other
>source code.  As long as it compiles and it doesn't disrupt other
>people's classes, it's allowed in src/.  But of course this wouldn't
>work for the few days/weeks leading up to the release.  We should
>probably have a code freeze for a period of time before the release so
>that we can all test it and make sure it works.
>
>I think the best way to deal with this is to have branches in CVS.  I
>believe this is how most major projects do it.  So we could have a
>stable branch, from which we would make a release.  In addition, we
>would have a development branch where untested code will go.

Branches will work.

>So we don't need development directories.  We just need a development
>branch in CVS.

That is fine, no problem so long as we can distinguish different
branches/trains.

>While we're on the topic, Zhengang has suggested that we outline a
>release schedule and goals for our next release.  I think that's a great
>idea because I personally would really like to see a release soon to
>give to Matt.  So any suggestions/proposals? =)

Excellent idea. I will shake the NCSU "branch" to gather input.
SDSC "branch"?
Others?

>Regarding jar files in lib/, yes you're right, we didn't discuss
>dividing that up by subproject.  Do you see a need to?

We may want to since not all projects may want to have all lib code on
all occasions.
Specail

>This is also true for bin/, which at the moment isn't a problem because
>we have only two files to put in there: runVergil.sh and runVergil.bat.

Ditto as above.

Special occastions could be dealt with by "branch" markings?

Mladen