[kepler-dev] problems and fixes in cvs head of ptolemy

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 8 14:14:34 PST 2004

Strange, $CLASSPATH should work.  $CLASSPATH is handled specially,
see
ptII/ptolemy/data/expr/FileParameter.java
> If a file name begins with the reference "$CLASSPATH", then when
> the file is opened for reading, the openForReading() method
> will search for the file relative to the classpath (using the
> getResource() method of the current class loader).  This will only
> work for a file that exists, and thus the openForWriting() method
> will not understand the "$CLASSPATH" string; this makes sense
> since the classpath typically has several directories, and it
> would not be obvious where to create the file.  The asURL()
> method also recognizes the "$CLASSPATH" string, but not the asFile()
> method (which is typically used when accessing a file for writing).
> NOTE: If the container of this parameter also contains a variable
> named CLASSPATH, then the value of that variable is used instead
> of the Java classpath.

I'm not sure why it would not be working unless there was a partial
merge where the version of FileParameter that predates the CLASSPATH
hacks.

-Christopher

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu  University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/GSRC         US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2739	      Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480  (office: 400A Cory)

--------

    ok, I got the head of the ptolemy cvs to work with kepler. This is what
    I did:

    -add TextAttribute.java to the makefile in
    ptII/ptolemy/vergil/kernel/attributes

    -remake that directory

    -change line 87 of
    ptII/ptolemy/vergil/kernel/attributes/ImageAttribute.java to be
    source.setExpression("$PTII/doc/img/ptIIplanetIcon.gif");
    (instead of "$CLASSPATH/doc/....")

    -remake that directory.

    -change line 87 of
    ptII/ptolemy/vergil/kernel/attributes/demo/AnimateVergil/AnimateVergil.xml
    to <property name="source"
    class="ptolemy.kernel.attributes.FileAttribute"
    value="$PTII/doc/img/ptIIplanetIcon.gif">
    (again instead of "$CLASSPATH/doc....")

    hope that works for you.  if it does, maybe forward this info onto the
    ptolemy folks.  It looks like someone just inadvertantly stuck in
    $CLASSPATH when it should have been $PTII.

    chad

    --
    Chad Berkley
    berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu