[kepler-dev] web service actor

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:39:17 PST 2004

Edward A Lee wrote:

> Another interesting question is what
> sort of subtyping (if any) is supported. Can one schema
> be a subtype of another?  If we build a clean type system around
> schema, this would be a big contribution, I think...
>
> Edward

Yes, there are notions of XML subtyping, but not usually for the same
reason as, e.g., is done in programming languages.  One reason people in
the database community are interested in subtyping is to find "good"
relational representations for XML -- that is, subtyping is used as a
way to rewrite schemas to find convenient relational schemas.

However, the classic notion of subtyping in programming languages
doesn't otherwise pop up much for XML.  One reason is that XML is
inherently "distributed."  Gven two schemas from different
organizations, just because they have the same structure, or one is a
subtype in terms of structure, there is absolutely no guarantee that
these schemas have anything to do with each other.  The same is true if
we also consider tag names (it may just be coincidence that some of the
tag names are the same).  Because the schemas were developed
independently, it would also be pretty unusual that even for otherwise
identical schemas, that the tag names or structure *would* be the same.

For web services, unless they were "designed to fit", it also seems like
it would be pretty rare that you would ever apply the subtyping rules
and find outputs that were subtypes of inputs.

Shawn