[kepler-dev] web service actor

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 26 07:55:21 PST 2004

Our ultimate objective is to have an XML type that functions
like a record type. The schema could be a representation of the
type... However, this is not a trivial thing... Currently, all
our types are defined by prototypes: That is, the type
{foo=double, bar=string} is actually a record, not just a type,
with value {foo=0.0, bar=""}.  That is "double" and "string"
are constants in the scope of the expression language.
To do the same with XML would require that something like
the XML schema designation evaluate to a valid XML object
of the same type as any other XML that matches the schema.
I'm not sure this is possible... but it seems like an extremely
interesting question...  Another interesting question is what
sort of subtyping (if any) is supported. Can one schema
be a subtype of another?  If we build a clean type system around
schema, this would be a big contribution, I think...

Edward