[kepler-dev] Customizing

Stephen Andrew Neuendorffer neuendor at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 23 13:19:12 PDT 2004

At 01:09 PM 8/23/2004, Rod Spears wrote:
>We need to be able to define new parameter types in addition to those that
>are in Ptolemy and then provide UI to change their values.

Yes, you can.  My guess is that you want is new configuration UI, not new
parameter classes, though...
This is the point of the ParameterEditorStyles.  You implement a style, add
it to your parameter as an attribute, and you can magically manufacture
whatever UI you want.  It may be useful to have a new parameter class that
contains the
attribute by default, in order to reduce the size of the moml files, but
that is, to some extent a secondary consideration.

Currently, the design is slightly broken, in my opinion, since it requires
that all of the 'styles' be in terms of what
is written into the Query class...  The ptolemy.gui.Query class needs to
support the addition of an arbitrary component, which it currently does
not.  Then using the styles should be straightforward.

Steve