[SDM-SPA] Re: [kepler-dev] moving edu.ncsu to org.sdm.spa

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 7 10:49:10 PDT 2004

All of the issues that Bertram and others are raising are a side effect
of the artificial boundaries caused by trying to organize source code
along project lines.  Within any software effort I have been involved
with, the directory organization has always followed a funtional
arrangement that closely follows the underlying software model.  I think
the simplest approach to this is to group actors functionally within
packages and provide credit to contributors in the source code of each
file.  This allows 1) contributions to be easily identified, and 2)
contributors from multipe projects to the same file, and 3) a sensical
layout of code that makes it easy for new developers to find things in
the tree because the tree follows the software model.  The more I watch
this converation evolve, the more strongly I feel that we should
organize along functional lines rather than project lines.  Of course,
this requires more design work up front, but I think that is a good
thing and will be positive for the project.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara