[SDM-SPA] Re: [kepler-dev] moving edu.ncsu to org.sdm.spa

Ilkay Altintas altintas at sdsc.edu
Tue Apr 6 19:24:24 PDT 2004

Hi All,

I understand we want the spa to be the top src folder in the
spa cvs and we have decided to have the util under it.
But I believe it would be a better structure if we have it like
   src
    |_ org
        |_ sdm
           |_ spa
               |_ util (SPA actor-specific utility files)
    |_ util (Generic utility files)

This will also make the synch with Kepler easier. We can copy
the generic util files we need from Kepler into the top directory.
Copying all the geon folder just for using a geon util file
doesn't make very much sense to me. I thought this was what
we wanted to avoid in spa cvs. Did I misunderstand something?

Also for Kepler, it might be a better organization to keep
the project-related/actor-specific util files in project
folders and the generic util files in one top directory under
source (***as it is now) IMHO. It is easier to look for what's
already available in the top folder, etc. and some of these
files would be even not belonging to a kepler project but
anonymous code that is being used by some of the actors.
(e.g. UUIDGen.java is a universal id generator is an open-source
(see author info in the file) java code that is used to create
unique temporary file names for temporary storage.)

There might be other ways of doing this. This is just an
idea that seemed reasonable to me.

Ilkay