EML

David Blankman dblankman at lternet.edu
Fri Mar 28 08:06:16 PST 2003

Melissa,

EML is an xml-based standard, so any eml document is a text document.

In addition, the eml can be seen as both a sub and superset of FGDC,
that is, there are elements in eml that are not in FGDC and elements of
FGDC that are not part of eml. There are sections of eml that have been
modeled on FGDC, however, some of the element names are different.
However, EML has been strucutred so that where the elements overlap with
FGDC, an EML file can be transfored into FGDC with a simple XSLT script.

The eml development group will be preparing XSLT scripts to go from EML
to FGDC.

If you go to http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software you will be able to
get full technical specifications of EML.

David Blankman
EML Integration Developer
Longterm Ecological Research Network
University of New Mexico