EML

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 28 08:06:23 PST 2003

Hi Melissa,

Metadata that is in EML syntax is already in text format, because EML
documents are XML [1] documents which are text documents.  XML requires
the use of Unicode [2] text, which automatically makes it possible to
include symbols from any language as well as mathematical and logical
symbols that are commonly used in the ecological sciences.  EML
documents can be opened and edited in any Unicode compliant text editor.

If you want to get the metadata that is in EML documents out of the XML
format for use in other systems, that is not difficult either.  There
are a variety of approaches, including the use of XSLT [3]
transformations (we are using this to transform EML into NBII format),
programmatic XML parsing APIs such as SAX [4] and DOM [5], and text
manipulation approaches such as using regular expressions in Perl.  The
list is endless.

Please let me know if I've missed the crux of your question.  Thanks,

Matt

[1] Extensible Markup Language (XML) http://www.w3c.org/XML/
[2] http://www.unicode.org/
[3] XSL Transformations (XSLT) http://www.xslt.com/