unitDictionay additions made should we do a supplemental release?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:16:19 PST 2003

Dan,

Actually, we made an explicit decision to use a UTF-8 encoding for the
eml-unitDictionary.xml file specifically so that we could use non-ascii
characters like superscripts, degree symbols, and others that are common
symbols for units.  Any compliant XML parser should be able to deal fine
with UTF-8 or UTF-16 and other unicode character sets, and I think
Morpho needs to be adjusted to accept any character that is legal in a
legal XML document.

Matt

Dan Higgins wrote:
> Scott,
>    I was looking over your message and noted your use of "m²" . It is of
> interest that the superscript '²' is not a standard ASCII character
> (i.e. the upper bit of its 8-bit representation is set, while most
> standard ASCII uses only the lower 7 bits). This may not be a problem in
> most cases, but we ran into a similar issue with the special character
> for 'degrees' in Morpho with some unicode/Java not recognizing such high
> order bit characters. (I think the main problem was with the Xalan XSLT
> processor not working when such special characters were in the document
> that was being transformed.)
>
>    It took us a good bit of effort to diagnose the problem, and we are
> recommending that any special 8 bit characters should be avoided. So
> just a word of warning and a suggestion that maybe we should avoid such
> characters in EML docs.
>
> Dan Higgins
> NCEAS
>

> Scott Chapal wrote:
>
>> [For Solar Radiation], does this look reasonable?
>>
>>  <!--powerFlux-->
>>  <unitType id="powerFlux" name="powerFlux"> <!--wattsPerMeterSquared-->
>>     <dimension name="power"/>
>>        <dimension name="length" power="2"/>
>>  </unitType>
>>
>>  <!--energyFlux-->
>>  <unitType id="energyFlux" name="energyFlux">
>> <!--kiloJoulesPerMeterSquared-->
>>        <dimension name="energy"/>
>>        <dimension name="length" power="2"/>
>>  </unitType>
>>
>>  <init id="wattsPerMeterSquared" name="wattsPerMeterSquared"
>>        abbreviation="W/m²"
>>     multiplierToSI="1"/>
>>    <description>Watts per Meter Squared</description>
>>  </unit>
>>
>>  <unit id="kiloJoulesPerMeterSquared" name="kiloJoulesPerMeterSquared"
>>        abbreviation="kJ/m²"
>>        multiplierToSI="1"/>
>>    <description>Kilo Joules per Meter Squared</description>
>>  </unit>
>>
>> BTW, this excercise makes me wonder if we aren't re-inventing the
>> wheel, OR inventing a wheel that we shouldn't have to.   Has anybody
>> reviewed:
>>
>> http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html
>>
>> He certainly seems to have some expertise in the area.
>>
>> And, what about NIST itself, or some other government standards body?
>> Why are WE having to do this and keep it correct and up to date?  I
>> definitely believe the unit dictionary should be de-coupled from EML
>> in the next release.
>>
>> -Scott
>>
>> Scott Chapal <scott.chapal at jonesctr.org> writes:
>>

>>> Has the thinking on the unit-dictionary progressed?
>>>
>>> What is discussed below seems a bit heavyweight to me.  Why can't a
>>> versioned unit dictionary exist as a simple stand alone schema
>>> document, referencable via a namespace declaration?  Considerations for
>>> backward compatibility would obviously apply.
>>>
>>> Working with our climate data, I found the need for:

> [...]
>>> wattsPerMeterSquared