unitDictionay additions made should we do a supplemental release?

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 26 10:54:11 PST 2003

Scott,
    I was looking over your message and noted your use of "m²" . It is
of interest that the superscript '²' is not a standard ASCII character
(i.e. the upper bit of its 8-bit representation is set, while most
standard ASCII uses only the lower 7 bits). This may not be a problem in
most cases, but we ran into a similar issue with the special character
for 'degrees' in Morpho with some unicode/Java not recognizing such high
order bit characters. (I think the main problem was with the Xalan XSLT
processor not working when such special characters were in the document
that was being transformed.)

    It took us a good bit of effort to diagnose the problem, and we are
recommending that any special 8 bit characters should be avoided. So
just a word of warning and a suggestion that maybe we should avoid such
characters in EML docs.

Dan Higgins
NCEAS

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu