unitDictionay additions made should we do a supplemental release?

Scott Chapal scott.chapal at jonesctr.org
Wed Mar 26 09:16:12 PST 2003

[For Solar Radiation], does this look reasonable?

  <!--powerFlux-->
  <unitType id="powerFlux" name="powerFlux"> <!--wattsPerMeterSquared-->
	<dimension name="power"/>
        <dimension name="length" power="2"/>
  </unitType>

  <!--energyFlux-->
  <unitType id="energyFlux" name="energyFlux"> <!--kiloJoulesPerMeterSquared-->
        <dimension name="energy"/>
        <dimension name="length" power="2"/>
  </unitType>

  <init id="wattsPerMeterSquared" name="wattsPerMeterSquared"
        abbreviation="W/m²"
	multiplierToSI="1"/>
    <description>Watts per Meter Squared</description>
  </unit>

  <unit id="kiloJoulesPerMeterSquared" name="kiloJoulesPerMeterSquared"
        abbreviation="kJ/m²"
        multiplierToSI="1"/>
    <description>Kilo Joules per Meter Squared</description>
  </unit>

BTW, this excercise makes me wonder if we aren't re-inventing the
wheel, OR inventing a wheel that we shouldn't have to.   Has anybody
reviewed:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html

He certainly seems to have some expertise in the area.

And, what about NIST itself, or some other government standards body?
Why are WE having to do this and keep it correct and up to date?  I
definitely believe the unit dictionary should be de-coupled from EML
in the next release.

-Scott

--
\SEC