Matrix entity type

Peter McCartney peter.mccartney at asu.edu
Tue Mar 11 13:41:50 PST 2003

Well  EML's scope of purpose is determined by the needs of the research
community, so if there is a need to describe matrices as data then by
definition it fits the scope. Our original proposal for BDI specified that
our data processing components would produce an EML that describes this new
data product. In development of our Xylopia project, this thinking has
evolved logically to using an EML package as the container for passing data
between processing steps - thereby creating the journaling process. So the
question becomes: can output such as cross tabulations or corrlations
matrices that are often fed as input into a subsquent processing step be
adequately described using the table entity type. To me, the answer is "not
really". If it is a two dimensional matrix, then I can describe one the
headers for parameter as the attribute list, and the other as the first
column in the rows. If its multi-dimensional, then it's a bit more
difficult.

I sense that part of your email was questioning whether people are really
going to archive such entites as opposed to the raw data that produced them.
Fair question as much of our early thinking probably assumed they would not.
However, ive looked a little more into DDI (data documentation initiative)
which is a metadata standard developed primarily for census-type data which
shares the same structure as what I am talking about (the data are some
aggregation of cases -housholds- that represent a vector of multiple
dimensions (income, education attained, relgion, etc). These people actually
archive data in these kinds of summary structures so it takes on a relevance
beyond simply being able to describe data as its being transformed through a
pipeline.

We always anticipated that new entity types would be proposed.

Peter McCartney (peter.mccartney at asu.edu)
Center for Environmental-Studies
Arizona State University