[ecoinfo] Citation norms for datasets

Cook, Robert B. cookrb at ornl.gov
Thu Jul 14 08:22:32 PDT 2011

Kyle,

At the ORNL DAAC we have been providing recommended citations for our published data sets since the early 2000s.  These citations are appearing in papers that use the data publication.  Citing data products gives the authors credit for the intellectual effort in generating the data set.

Please refer to the attached note for additional information.

When we publish these data products, I send a note to each author congratulating them on their publication and encouraging them to place the citation data pub on their cv.

Many journals will allow data product citations to appear in the references section of papers.

We are working with the Web of Knowledge to place these data pubs into their indexing service, so that authors can view both their publications and their data products.  Plus they can readily see who has used their data in subsequent publications.

Good luck!
Bob