[ecoinfo] Citation norms for datasets

Kyle Kwaiser kkwaiser at umich.edu
Thu Jul 14 07:15:30 PDT 2011

Hello Colleagues,

I am working with graduate students this summer to archive their work
at our field station.  I want to tell them to cite their datasets on
their CV's but I know this is not yet the norm.

Any general thoughts on how close we are to including datasets on
CV's?  Can you suggest recent papers that argue (decisively) for this
practice?  Here are two relevant but slightly tangential examples:

Reichman, O. J., M. B. Jones, and M. P. Schildhauer. 2011. “Challenges
and Opportunities of Open Data in Ecology.” Science 331 (6018)
(February): 703-705. doi:10.1126/science.1197962.

Vision, Todd J. 2010. “Open Data and the Social Contract of Scientific
Publishing.” BioScience 60 (5) (May): 330-331.
doi:10.1525/bio.2010.60.5.2.

Best,

Kyle