[ecoinfo] Vegetation databases and climate change: deadline extended

Jürgen Dengler dengler at botanik.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Dec 22 09:39:15 PST 2009

Conference "Vegetation Databases and Climate Change": Deadline extended

Dear colleagues,

we would like to invite you to the 9th international Meeting on Vegetation
Databases, hosted from 24-26 February 2010 at the University of Hamburg,
Germany. The motto this year is "Vegetation Databases and Climate Change".
Already more than 100 colleagues from 25 countries have registered.

We particularly invite contributions based on vegetation databanks and related
archives on the following topics
*   detection of climate-induced changes in community composition and
    functional traits
*   modelling of species niches
*   modelling of current and future distributions of species and vegetation
    types
*   separating long-term trends in vegetation composition from
    methodological artifacts caused by subjective sampling, unequal plot
    sizes, incomplete relevés etc.
*   disentangling effects of climate change, land use change, eutrophication,
    and biotic invasions
*   forecasting landscape change
*   estimating vulnerability of species, and vegetation types
*   dealing with scenarios, uncertainty, and risk

Aditionally, we welcome presentation of new methods, new software tools, or
new databases. In particular, we invite all persons who host a vegetation database
to present its scope and content on a poster.

The meeting will comprise keynote lectures by Niklaus E. Zimmermann (WSL,
Switzerland) and Ingolf Kühn (UFZ, Germany), and Michael C. Rutherford
(South African National Biodiversity Institute, South Africa) as well as five
software workshops related to establishment and analyses of large databases.

Visit our conference homepage at

http://www.botanik.uni-greifswald.de/workshop2010.html

where you find further details. Deadline for registration and abstract upload has
been extended and now is open

until 17 January 2010.

In conjunction with the conference ,we will launch a World Metadatabase on
Vegetation Databases as an open access internet resource as well as in an
attractive print volume. Those of you who host vegetation databases
(institutionally or privately) and are basically willing to share their data with
others are invited to register for this enterprise at

http://www.botanik.uni-greifswald.de/373.html

in order to receive all further information. Nearly 50 databases with approx. half
a million of relevés have already registered.

We are looking forward to welcome you in Hamburg in two months.

Best regards,

Jürgen Dengler, Manfred Finckh, and Jörg Ewald

--
Local Organising Committee: J. Dengler (HUdengler at botanik.uni-hamburg.de) and
M. Finckh (HUmfinckh at botanik.uni-hamburg.de)

--
Dr. Jürgen Dengler

Plant Systematics and Vegetation Ecology
Biocentre Klein Flottbek
University of Hamburg
Ohnhorststr. 18
22609 Hamburg