[ecoinfo] Metacat 1.9.1 released by the Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity

Michael Daigle daigle at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 22 10:32:57 PDT 2009

The Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity (KNB) project
(http://knb.ecoinformatics.org) is pleased to announce its new release
of Metacat (1.9.1).

Metacat is a flexible database storage system for XML formatted
documents. The new release of Metacat can be downloaded from:

    http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/download.html#metacat

This release focuses on the following enhancements (as well as many bug
fixes):

Enhancements:

-- Support for the EML 2.1.0 metadata standard
-- Improved installation process through a binary install
-- Internal configuration utility
-- Additional access rules for non-eml documents are propagated during
replication

The fix/enhancement bugs include:

* escaped "less than" in inlinedata causes invalid eml output (Bug 2564)
* need to set filename for download files (Bug 2566)
* add ability for search engines to index metacat documents (Bug 2826)
* EML citation section should include both organizationNames and
individualNames (Bug 3059)
* refactor skins to get organization list from metacat
getOrganizations() function (Bug 3114)
* Update dataknp.sanparks.org packageId attributes to match Metacat Ids
(Bug 3258)
* New documents explicitly set as public access don't show up correctly
(Bug 3262)
* Modify confguration utility in metacat (Bug 3371)
* Integrate perl token replacement changes (Bug 3372)
* Create skin specific configuration utility (Bug 3373)
* Add authentication for configuration utility (Bug 3374)
* Create a sorted properties utility (Bug 3375)
* Add DB upgrade/install functionality to java code (Bug 3376)
* Create ANT install target for developers (Bug 3377)
* Create LSID server installation (Bug 3380)
* Create unit test code for 1.9 additions (Bug 3381)
* create simple turnkey installer for metacat Phase I (Bug 3461)
* Maps do not display in Firefox version 3 (Bug 3462)
* Replicate access rules in replication (Bug 3464)
* Metacat casesensitive="true" option in pathquery expressions is broken
(Bug 3472)
* Add full schema checking when metacat register new schema (Bug 3474)
* Incorporate EML 2.1.0 access changes in metacat (Bug 3495)
* getprincipals action returns invalid XML document (Bug 3527)
* Update knbweb to serve new metacat install (Bug 3545)
* Replication should write to disk (Bug 3554)
* Update acknowlegements in metacat readme (Bug 3588)
* Validate the ldap administrator field. (Bug 3616)
* Allow for different authentication services in metacat configuration
(Bug 3680)
* Tag utilities module and have metacat check out that tag (Bug 3685)

We hope that this software is useful to you. We welcome feedback and
comments that will make the application more useful in the future.
Please submit bugs and problems through our bug tracking system
(http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org) and send general feedback to
'metacat-dev at ecoinformatics.org'.

The Metacat Development Team
Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity Project

Michael Daigle
National Center for Ecological
Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
735 State St. Suite 204