[ecoinfo] Newbie question

Chris G. Nicholas cgn at globexplorer.com
Wed Jan 15 13:21:12 PST 2003

I am responding to the Federal Geospatial "One-Stop" effort, as per:
http://ip.opengis.org/gos-pi/.

Theoretically, it will encompass FGDC clearinghouse, and it would make
sense to attempt to deal with other little efforts like the EPA NEIX,
NASA's ECHO (see: http://www.echo.eos.nasa.gov/), etc. in a
semi-consistent way.

Also, we are encountering various NSF folks in our dapplings with
GRID/Globus technologies, as per:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/grid/stories/globe.html.

Certainly an admirable goal would be to facilitate future versions of
Ferdinando Villa's and Tom Maxwell's stuff on the fly using data found
in NEIX, using a process designed in a tool like:
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/WSOM, that could stand up in court.
(Is this really critical to endangered species X's habitat?)

We had many spirited discussions on these and other issues at the last
openGIS meeting in Thousand Oaks, CA a few weeks back that centered
around the catalogue services; (I was looking for some Santa Barbara
folks!)

Anyway, catalogue services are a big issue in OpenGIS, see:
http://www.opengis.org/pressrm/summaries/20010219.TS.CataSrvr.htm (but
don't believe the last paragraph...)

Linda Hill over in geography/Alexandria is up to speed on the One-Stop
effort.

Chris Nicholas
GlobeXplorer