[ecoinfo] EML 2.0.0 Release Candidate 3 (eml-2.0.0rc3)

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 31 15:39:43 PST 2002

We are pleased to announce the release of the third candidate for
Ecological Metadata Language (EML) 2.0.0 (eml-2.0.0rc3).  This is not
the final EML 2.0.0 release, but rather represents an opportunity for
last minute sanity review of the EML specification before we release the
final version.

We had planned on releasing the final version at this point, but
feedback from RC2 required some relatively substantial changes, and we
felt that a third release candidate was needed to make sure people had a
chance to comment.  In particular, we have made some changes to the way
in which attributes are documented, including changes to how
measurementScale, unit, domain, and precision are represented.  It also
contains new mechanisms for documenting attributes containing date-time
values.

We do not expect any changes between now and the final EML 2.0.0 release
(this release was preceded by 9 beta releases and two release
candidates). See the README file for changes between the last release
and this one.

You can obtain the release at:
      http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/eml/

This release has benefitted from broad participation in its design and
implementation, including contributions from individuals at NCEAS
(UCSB), the KNB Project, PISCO (UCSB), LTER sites (CAP, NET, KBS, JRN,
NTL), and the Joseph W. Jones Ecological Research Center, among numerous
others. We would appreciate your feedback, and contributions to the
project are more than welcome. You can contact us at
"eml-dev at ecoinformatics.org".

Here is our expected schedule for finalizing the EML 2.0.0 release:

Date              Summary
Nov. 6, 2002      Release final EML 2.0.0 version

I've attached the README file that contains release notes for the
current release.  Enjoy, and thanks in advance for your feedback.

Matt Jones                                  jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/