[kepler-users] Parsing JSON data; advice on collaboration

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 15 18:44:17 PST 2014

Hi Brandon,

Backward type inference can help with these JSONToToken models, see

http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/pubs/1035.html - a poster

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/books/Systems/chapters/TheTypeSystem.pdf

In Ptolemy II, to enable backward type conversion in Vergil, right click
on  the canvas, select Customize, then Configure, then check the
enableBackwardTypeInference box.

In Kepler, it might be necessary to do something different, see
http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu/kepler/pipermail/kepler-users/2013-October/002542.html

For the JSON actor and Backward Type Conversion, see Marten's poster at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/pubs/1035.html

See also
http://sisyphus.eecs.berkeley.edu:8079/hudson/job/ptII/javadoc/ptolemy/actor/lib/conversions/json/JSONToToken.html
and
http://sisyphus.eecs.berkeley.edu:8079/hudson/job/ptII/javadoc/ptolemy/actor/lib/conversions/json/TokenToJSON.html
though there is not much there.

Martin's tech report "Maximally Permissive Composition of Actors in
Ptolemy II" at
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2013/EECS-2013-19.html also
has some info about JSONToToken.

In a multicontributor environment, I suggest the following:

- Where you can, use actor oriented classes to define models. This means
that people can "own" blocks of functionality and others can instantiate
them.  If the original definition changes, then the users will see those
changes.

- A nightly build with a test suite goes a long way to helping find
problems early.  There is a Test actor that can be used in models to
create regression tests. $PTII/doc/coding/testing.htm has details.

- In your version control system, always work at the head, branching can
consume resources when doing a merge.

_Christopher

On 12/10/14 7:58 PM, Edward A. Lee wrote:

> In the underlying Ptolemy system, we have a JavaScript actor that
> would be ideal for this...
> Not sure whether this is exposed in the Kepler libraries...
>
> Edward
>
> On 12/10/14, 2:16 PM, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm new to Kepler and I'm trying to build a minimal demo to show my
>> research group how the tool works.  I have two questions, and the first
>> is a two-parter.
>>
>> 1a- My first application is to pull down data from a web service (using
>> RESTService) and display it.  In the WebService demo (Getting Started
>> 06) I see the XMLDisassembler actor is used.  However, my data come back
>> in JSON format- It does not appear that there is a JSON analog for
>> XMLDisassembler.  Any recommendations on how I could parse the data?
>>
>> 1b- One thing I tried was JSONToToken, thinking that a token was
>> something that might be more easily manipulated; it did not turn out to
>> be.  In fact, I can't really find anything that I can connect to the
>> output of a JSONToToken actor.  Is there a way for me to find actorsI
>> with input ports that are valid terminals for a given output port, or
>> vice-versa?
>>
>> 2- The team I'm working with includes about 14 people across several
>> academic departments.  Are there any documents or helpful resources that
>> give practical advice on working with Kepler in a multi-contributor
>> environment?  None of us has used the tool before.
>>
>> BTW it seems some actors (RESTService and JSON-anything, for instance)
>> are missing from the Actor Reference.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Brandon

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)