[kepler-users] Parsing JSON data; advice on collaboration

Brandon Kuczenski bkuczenski at bren.ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 10 14:16:02 PST 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to Kepler and I'm trying to build a minimal demo to show my
research group how the tool works.  I have two questions, and the first
is a two-parter.

1a- My first application is to pull down data from a web service (using
RESTService) and display it.  In the WebService demo (Getting Started
06) I see the XMLDisassembler actor is used.  However, my data come back
in JSON format- It does not appear that there is a JSON analog for
XMLDisassembler.  Any recommendations on how I could parse the data?

1b- One thing I tried was JSONToToken, thinking that a token was
something that might be more easily manipulated; it did not turn out to
be.  In fact, I can't really find anything that I can connect to the
output of a JSONToToken actor.  Is there a way for me to find actors
with input ports that are valid terminals for a given output port, or
vice-versa?

2- The team I'm working with includes about 14 people across several
academic departments.  Are there any documents or helpful resources that
give practical advice on working with Kepler in a multi-contributor
environment?  None of us has used the tool before.

BTW it seems some actors (RESTService and JSON-anything, for instance)
are missing from the Actor Reference.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

--
Brandon Kuczenski, Ph.D.
Assistant Researcher

University of California at Santa Barbara
Institute for Social, Behavioral, and Environmental Research
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5131

phone: (805) 893-5058
fax:   (805) 893-7612
email: bkuczenski at bren.ucsb.edu