[kepler-users] Hard-coded limit to number of threads in OSX (Mountain Lion)?

Jonathan Boright boright at isciences.com
Fri Jul 26 15:36:13 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Just a quick note to see if anyone has found a work-around for an
issue that we have recently stumbled upon.

We are in the process of migrating some work flows originally built
using Cygwin  (Windows machines) to OSX (Mac Mini running Mountain
Lion). Apparently there is a limit to the number of threads allowed
for a single process on all OSX. In previous versions of OSX this
limit was flexible (and depended somewhat on RAM) , but on Mountain
Lion it is hard-coded to 2048 (or something in that neighborhood).
Because some of our workflows use upwards of 4000 threads, this
presents a problem for us. Our current work-around is to break our
large workflows into smaller ones... but if anybody has any relevant
knowledge or experience dealing with this... we'd love to hear about
it!

Thanks in advance.

Jon