[kepler-users] Problem with multiple plays of same KAR.

Tom Parris parris at isciences.com
Wed Jan 9 09:27:29 PST 2013

Dear Kepler-Users:

I am hoping you can help point me in the right direction to track down an
odd problem we are having (with Kepler trunk on Windows 7 x64 pro, but has
been happening for a couple of years through multiple versions of the trunk
and on x86 XP systems as well)

1. It involves a simple test KAR for a self-developed actor that uses GDAL
to read a matrix and produce two tokens (the matrix and the metadata for
the matrix).  I know it is customary to provide an example for replication
purposes and I am willing to do so, but it is non trivial to get it
installed correctly.  I'm also willing to share the code of the actor for
review (with the usual caveats that we know it is not pretty).

2. The KAR opens and runs once without difficulty.  Three display windows
are generated.  One with the name of the input file, one with the metadata,
and one with the matrix.  If one closes these three windows and presses the
"play" button a second time, only the first two windows are produced.  The
display window with the matrix is not produced.

3. Closing Kepler and relaunching solves the problem.

4. After pressing "play" a second time, closing the KAR and re-opening
fails (due to an issue resolving a simple jython class and instance for an
actor that subsets the matrix).

5. If instead of pressing "play" a second time, I close the KAR and re-open
it, then it opens successfully and runs once, but not a second time.

6. We have not tracked this problem down previously because in "real"
workflows we don't seem to encounter this problem (though we typically only
run once per open).  These workflows typically make extensive use of this
actor, with multiple instances and multiple firings per workflow.

I suspect this is a problem in our code (either the GDAL actor or the
jython actor) understanding differences in the roles of initalize(),
prefire(), and postfire().

One oddity is that self developed GDAL actor outputs the metadata token
after it outputs the matrix token.  So, it is odd that the metadata token
is displayed on multiple runs, but not the matrix token.

-- Tom