[kepler-users] Different behavior of an R script in R terminal and R actor of Kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 5 17:34:14 PDT 2012

Hi Joseph M.,
This could be an internationalization issue with Ptolemy II.

ptolemy/actor/gui/ConfigurationApplication.java contains this code
> // Even if the user is set up for foreign locale, use the US locale.
>         // This is because certain parts of Ptolemy (like the expression
>         // language) are not localized.
>         // FIXME: This is a workaround for the locale problem, not a fix.
>         // FIXME: In March, 2001, Johan Ecker writes
>         // Ptolemy gave tons of exception when started on my laptop
>         // which has Swedish settings as default. The Swedish standard
>         // for floating points are "2,3", i.e. using a comma as
>         // delimiter. However, I think most Swedes are adaptable and
>         // do not mind using a dot instead since this more or less has
>         // become the world standard, at least in engineering. The
>         // problem is that I needed to change my global settings to
>         // start Ptolemy and this is quite annoying. I guess that the
>         // expression parser should just ignore the delimiter settings
>         // on the local computer and always use dot, otherwise Ptolemy
>         // will crash using its own init files.
>         try {
>             java.util.Locale.setDefault(java.util.Locale.US);
>         } catch (java.security.AccessControlException accessControl) {
>             // FIXME: If the application is run under Web Start, then
> this
>             // exception will be thrown.
>         }

The way I would approach this is to build Kepler using Eclipse and then
try setting
a different locale by editing the above code.

I'm sorry Ptolemy II has this restriction, I find it somewhat embarrassing.

For more about internationalization, see
http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu/kepler/pipermail/kepler-dev/2010-July/018684.html

The links on that message are out of date, see
http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu/kepler/pipermail/kepler-users/2009-September/001082.html

_Christopher