[kepler-users] Iterating over Elements / Looping

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 1 21:00:36 PDT 2012

Hi Stefan,
We talked about these sorts of model today.  Edward's main comment was
that we need to have better documentation about how to do control flow
with actor-oriented models.  Also, we talked about using
IterateOverArray for the sorts of models, which is probably your best bet.

My brute force method would be to have write an actor that read a
directory and produced a file or directory on the output each time the
actor was fired.  When all the files and/or directories had been written
to the output, then prefire() would return false.   An even more brute
force method would be to have a separate output that would be written to
when the directory had been completely read.  This output could be
connected to a Stop actor.

_Christopher

On 4/30/12 1:07 AM, Stefan Proell wrote:
> Dear Christopher,
> thanks for the hints.
> I do not know the size of the array in advance and I also need to
> terminate the looping in a reliable way. There hopefully exists a more
> elegant solution to this problem, but I now decided to model the
> process in a way it stays dynamic regarding the array size and
> terminating after hitting a counter-limit. I attach the project file
> to this mail. What this simple example does is fetching a directory of
> files (MP3s) and storing it on my local hard drive for further
> processing (not implemented yet :-) ). I used a DDF director.
>
> Kind regards,
> Stefan
>

> Am 2012-04-26 16:54, schrieb Christopher Brooks:
>> Stefan,
>> DirectoryListing produces an Array an output.
>> If you know the number of files in the directory in advance, then you
>> can use ArrayToSequence and have a SDF Director.
>> The reason you need to know the number of files is because you need
>> to know the size of the array so that SDF can calculate a schedule.
>> An alternative is to set the allowRateChanges in SDFDirector to true,
>> see DirectorySDFRateChange.xml
>> One issue with this model is that it does not terminate naturally.
>>
>> Or, you can use the PN Director and terminate the model with a test
>> that looks for a file name that has already been seen.
>>
>> An alternative is to put the DirectoryListing inside a Composite that
>> has a SDF Director.  I ran in to issue with terminating the model
>> though.   Attached is DirectoryListing2.xml.
>>
>> I'm probably missing an easier way to do this though.
>>
>> See also
>> https://kepler-project.org/users/faq#how-do-i-branch
>>
>> _Christopher
>>
>> On 4/26/12 7:29 AM, Tomasz Żok wrote:
>>> Dear Stefan,
>>>
>>> please take a look at this tutorial session:
>>> http://scilla.man.poznan.pl:8080/confluence/x/oAFU
>>>
>>> You can jump straight to sections dedicated to looping in Kepler,
>>> there are
>>> several possible solutions presented.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Tomek

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670