[kepler-users] visualization of data provenance in kepler

Derik Barseghian barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 28 12:21:12 PDT 2012

Hi Yujia,
There are actually two different provenance subsystems available in Kepler, the released provenance suite, and a provenance system that I believe was designed to work with the comad add-on(s).

The released provenance suite doesn't have a data visualization capability, though it does allow recording to OPM, and the OPM toolbox has a tool to convert these OPM graphs to graphviz, but a co-worker gave that a try this morning without success. It does seem like it may be possible though. This is what I would pursue if you are interested.

The comad provenance system has a provenance browser for data visualization. A screenshot of it is here:
https://kepler-project.org/developers/interest-groups/provenance-interest-group/keplerprovbrowserui.png/view?searchterm=provenance%20browser
You'll see the provenance-browser module in: https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/

I gave it a very quick try just now, and got errors when trying to open some the included example trace files. I don't think this project is being maintained, and I believe it is restrictive to comad workflows. I saw this browser working in the distant past and it looked useful, it would be nice if it were made to work with the released provenance module.

Derik