[kepler-users] problems with ptolemy svn

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 31 09:21:14 PST 2012

Dear Vincenzo,

I'm cc'ing kepler-users because this is likely to be a common problem.

My comments are below.

On 1/31/12 2:24 AM, Vincenzo Forchi wrote:
> Dear Christopher,
>
> I contact you directly because I was not able to subscribe to the
> mailing list (at some point I unsubscribed and now my new request is
> pending since months).
> Anyway, as Enrique told you we have some issues trying to checkout
> kepler 2.3. I was able to check it out using https, but then it
> doesn't compile, I think there might be some version mismatch.
>
> At any rate, I think we should try to address this issue: you said it
> could be a firewall problem, but which firewall? I don't think it's
> ours, because Enrique had the same problem from another machine
> outside our firewall, and I also don't understand why is the
> connection able to start and why are we able to download the trunk.
>
> Do you know somebody in the ptolemy project we can contact to try to
> sort this thing out? We would really like to use kepler-2.3 for our
> next developments, and we are running on a tight schedule.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Vincenzo

The way the "ant change-to" command works is that it accesses at least
two subversion repositories, one that contains kepler and one that
contains the Ptolemy II sources.  The portion that accesses the Kepler
repositories works because the https protocol is used.  The portion that
accesses the Ptolemy II repository fails because the svn protocol is
used.  This has been fixed in the development trunk, but it appears to
be the case in the Kepler-2.3 branch.

I'm the person responsible for the Ptolemy II subversion repository, so
you have come to the right place.

I put up some information about the svn port and firewalls at
https://kepler-project.org/developers/teams/build/documentation/build-system-instructions#retrieving-kepler-and-ptolemy

The issue is that the svn protocol uses port 3690.  Some locations block
this port at a firewall.  The alternative is to use subversion via the
https protocol, which is much less likely to be blocked.

What does "telnet source.eecs.berkeley.edu 3690" return for you?

I get:
> bash-3.2$ telnet source.eecs.berkeley.edu 3690
> Trying 128.32.48.234...
> Connected to source.eecs.berkeley.edu.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ( success ( 2 2 ( ) ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries
> commit-revprops depth log-revprops partial-replay ) ) )

It looks to me like the path to the ptolemy II repository is hardwired
in to Kepler-2.3 somewhere.
https://kepler-project.org/developers/teams/build/documentation/build-system-instructions#retrieving-kepler-and-ptolemy
has instructions for trying to use https instead of svn:

 From the build-area directory, try
> mkdir -p ../ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src
> svn co -r 62419
> https://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/svn/chess/ptII/branches/kepler-2-3
> ../ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src
If there are problems, try removing the ../ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src
directory and then rerunning the commands above.

I just reran
> mkdir kepler-2.3
> svn co
> https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/release-branches/build-area-2.3
> build-area
> cd build-area
> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-2.3
and there were no problems, but I was on a machine on campus.  I won't
have access to a fast, off campus machine until tonight.

As a test, you could try downloading the Kepler development trunk, which
accesses the Ptolemy II subversion tree using https.  Try

> mkdir kepler
> cd kepler
> svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/build-area
> cd build-area
> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler

You should see something like:
> [change-to] svn co -r head
> https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/trunk/modules/ptolemy
> /home/bldmastr/src/kepler/ptolemy
If the "ant change-to" works with the development tree and fails with
Kepler-2.3, then there is likely a firewall problem.

If the above does not work, then send me the entire log and I'll take a
look.

_Christopher

On 1/30/2011, Christopher wrote:

> [...]
>> build-area
>> cd build-area
>> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-2.3
>
> You were having problems checking out the ptII tree.
>
> The above commands produce the command below that checks out the ptII
> tree
>> [change-to] svn co -r 62419
>> svn://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/chess/ptII/branches/kepler-2-3
>> /home/bldmastr/ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src
>
> Does this command work for you?
> svn co -r 62419
> svn://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/chess/ptII/branches/kepler-2-3
> ptolemy-kepler-2.3
>
> If not, then there is probably a firewall that is blocking the port
> used by the svn protocol.
> You could  try using the https protocol:
>
> svn co -r 62419
> https://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/svn/chess/ptII/branches/kepler-2-3 ptII
>
> Note that the last argument is the directory where the files will be
> created.  So, it varies depending on
> your installation.
>
> If the https version works, you could move ptII to ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src
>
> If you are having problems, try removing the entire kepler-2.3
> directory and starting over.
> Then send the end of the log where the error occurs.
>
> _Chrisotpher
>
> On 1/30/12 4:22 AM, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:
>
>   Hi,
>
>   we still have exactly the same problem. As pointed out before, the
> problem
> appears using different operating systems. We have also tried from
> different
> locations in Europe without success.
>
>   Best regards,
>   Enrique
>
>> This should be fixed now.
>> The web server on source.eecs.berkeley.edu did not restart properly
>> after yesterday's second reboot.
>> I'm not sure why.
>>
>> _Christopher
>>
>> On 1/25/12 8:24 AM, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:
>>>    Hi,
>>>
>>>    We are trying to follow the instructions to build Kepler 2.3
>>> under Linux
> but
>>> it seems that the subversion server is stuck. This happened already
>>> some
>>> months ago, but it is now that we are retrying. The exact commands used
> are:
>>> svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/release-
>>> branches/build-area-2.3/  build-area
>>> cd build-area
>>> ant change-to -Dsuite=kepler-2.3
>>>

>>> It is stuck at
>>> [change-to] A    /diskb/cgarcia/tmp/kepleeer/ptolemy-
>>> kepler-2.3/src/ptolemy/moml/jxta/demo/EPtolemyA/actors.xml
>>>
>>> The error can be reproduced with Fedora 16, using svn 1.6.17, java
>>> "1.6.0_22", ant 1.8.2
>>>
>>>    We have tried deleting everything and starting from scratch. We have
> also
> tried in OSX (svn 1.6.16) , Ubuntu 11.04 (svn 1.6.12) Scientific Linux

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670