[kepler-users] Adding my own ontology to the Kepler 2.3 semantic types

Michael.O'Connor at csiro.au Michael.O'Connor at csiro.au
Thu Apr 26 05:13:02 PDT 2012

I wanted to add my own ontology to Kepler, so that I could semantically annotate inputs and outputs in my workflows.

I have found at least one message in the kepler-user lists that discusses this:
  http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics/pipermail/kepler-users/2006-January/000053.html

Followed the suggestions by:
— adding my .owl file to /Applications/Kepler-2.3/Kepler.app/Contents/Resources/Java/common-2.3.0/configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/ontologies
— in the same folder I added an entry to ontology_catalog.xml i.e. <ontology filename="myOwl.owl" library="false"/>

My ontology did not appear in the list of Categories in the Input tab of the Semantic Type Annotation dialog.

Next approach — my ontology might not be correctly formed as far as Kepler is concerned (it does open fine in Protege 4.2)?  So I made a copy of one of the SEEK ontologies and tried that, as above, but the same lack of result.

Perhaps I'm putting the ontology in the wrong place (i.e. not inside the folder for the Application) or I have to rebuild or compile something to get this to work.

Any help gratefully received,

— Mike