[kepler-users] Kepler 2.3 and MATLAB

Wade Sheldon sheldon at uga.edu
Fri Apr 20 20:14:45 PDT 2012

No joy under Win7/64 either with a clean install of Kepler 2.3 and the proper Matlab paths (albeit R2010a 64bit). However this time I get an error related to running 32bit libraries on the system:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kepler-2.3\common-2.3.0\lib\ptolemy\matlab\ptmatlab.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

(This is an Intel Core i7, not AMD cpu, BTW).

Sigh. Harder than I'd hoped. Python and R work fine as on WinXP/32 - the problem is just related to the MatlabExpression actor, which is what I'm particularly interested in using.

-Wade

On 4/20/2012 10:41 PM, Wade Sheldon wrote:
> Also, I updated Java to the latest version (1.6.0_31-b05), uninstalled Kepler, and reinstalled from a full admin account. Same results. From what I can find on the web, that  "The operating system cannot run %1" is a generic error that implies a path issue. Anything I can check regarding the Kepler classpath or libraries come to mind?
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> -Wade
>
> On 4/20/2012 10:02 PM, Wade Sheldon wrote:
>> Thanks, Christopher. I had already perused the mailing list archives via Google and just saw references to the same issue without solutions. I confirmed that the JVM bit width is 32 (Java version 1.6.0_20).
>>
>> I set up a simpler workflow with just a SDF director, MatalbExpression actor and text display actor, and configured the expression: "rand(100,1);", but I got the same error. Here's the trace from the first time it was invoked, which yielded a little more info as you indicated, specifically "C:\Program Files\Kepler-2.3\common-2.3.0\lib\ptolemy\matlab\ptmatlab.dll: The operating system cannot run %1". Hope that points to a specific issue.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Wade
>>
>> complete stack dump:
>> ptolemy.kernel.util.IllegalActionException: There was a problem invoking the Ptolemy II Matlab interface.
>> The interface has been tested under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
>> The interface requires that Matlab be installed on the local machine and that the ptmatlab shared library available.
>> * Under Linux, you must have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable set to include the directories that contain libmx.so and libptmatlab.so.
>> * Under Mac OS X, you must have the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable set to include the directories that contain libmx.dylib and libptmatlab.jnilib.
>> * Under Windows, you must have your PATH set to include the Matlab bin/win32 or equivalent directory so that libmex.dll is found and the directory that contains libptmatlab.dll. In addition, if you are running under Windows from the Cygwin bash prompt, then you must start Vergil with the -jni argument: $PTII/bin/vergil -jni. For details, see $PTII/jni/package.html.
>> Refer to $PTII/ptolemy/matlab/makefile for more information.
>>   in .Unnamed1.MatlabExpression
>> Because:
>> C:\Program Files\Kepler-2.3\common-2.3.0\lib\ptolemy\matlab\ptmatlab.dll: The operating system cannot run %1
>>     at ptolemy.matlab.Expression.preinitialize(Expression.java:263)
>>     at ptolemy.actor.Director.preinitialize(Director.java:1056)
>>     at ptolemy.actor.Director.preinitialize(Director.java:1035)
>>     at ptolemy.domains.sdf.kernel.SDFDirector.preinitialize(SDFDirector.java:655)
>>     at ptolemy.actor.CompositeActor.preinitialize(CompositeActor.java:1735)
>>     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.preinitializeAndResolveTypes(Manager.java:930)
>>     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.initialize(Manager.java:636)
> [...]

Wade M. Sheldon
GCE-LTER Information Manager/SIMO Database Administrator
School of Marine Programs
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-3636
Email: sheldon at uga.edu