[kepler-users] Kepler 2.3 and MATLAB

Wade Sheldon sheldon at uga.edu
Fri Apr 20 14:38:39 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

I'm trying to test using Kepler 2.3 to execute matlab-based workflows, since we use matlab extensively for environmental data management at a US LTER site. I started with the demo "MatlabExpression.xml", but I haven't been able to get it to run. I confirmed that the relevant matlab directories are in the system path and I can invoke matlab from a command prompt, so that's not the issue. I can also run Python and R-based demos and do other simple things, so there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my base Kepler installation. I also tried using various matlab versions (R13, R2010a, R2011b, adjusting the path to matlab\bin and matlab\bin\win32 accordingly), disabling security software and running from an admin user account in desperation, but those steps didn't help.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've only tried running this in WinXP SP3 32bit, but I could also try Win7 64bit tomorrow on another workstation. Below is the stack trace of the error I get when running the workflow.

Thanks.

Wade Sheldon
GCE-LTER

~~~~~~~
stack trace:
ptolemy.kernel.util.IllegalActionException: There was a problem invoking the Ptolemy II Matlab interface.
The interface has been tested under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
The interface requires that Matlab be installed on the local machine and that the ptmatlab shared library available.
* Under Linux, you must have the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable set to include the directories that contain libmx.so and libptmatlab.so.
* Under Mac OS X, you must have the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable set to include the directories that contain libmx.dylib and libptmatlab.jnilib.
* Under Windows, you must have your PATH set to include the Matlab bin/win32 or equivalent directory so that libmex.dll is found and the directory that contains libptmatlab.dll. In addition, if you are running under Windows from the Cygwin bash prompt, then you must start Vergil with the -jni argument: $PTII/bin/vergil -jni. For details, see $PTII/jni/package.html.
Refer to $PTII/ptolemy/matlab/makefile for more information.
   in .MatlabExpression.MatlabExpression
Because:
Could not initialize class ptolemy.matlab.Engine
     at ptolemy.matlab.Expression.preinitialize(Expression.java:263)
     at ptolemy.actor.Director.preinitialize(Director.java:1056)
     at ptolemy.actor.Director.preinitialize(Director.java:1035)
     at ptolemy.domains.sdf.kernel.SDFDirector.preinitialize(SDFDirector.java:655)
     at ptolemy.actor.CompositeActor.preinitialize(CompositeActor.java:1735)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.preinitializeAndResolveTypes(Manager.java:930)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.initialize(Manager.java:636)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.execute(Manager.java:340)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager.run(Manager.java:1111)
     at ptolemy.actor.Manager$PtolemyRunThread.run(Manager.java:1641)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class ptolemy.matlab.Engine
     at ptolemy.matlab.Expression.preinitialize(Expression.java:260)
     ... 9 more

--

  Wade M. Sheldon
  GCE-LTER Information Manager/SIMO Database Administrator
  School of Marine Programs
  University of Georgia
  Athens, GA 30602-3636
  Email: sheldon at uga.edu