[kepler-users] Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException...

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 17 10:51:38 PDT 2011

Hi Marc,
I could not reproduce this, so I would need more information.

I'm on a Mac:
1. I removed my ~/.kepler and ~/KeplerData directories.
2. When I started up Kepler-2.2, I was prompted to upgrade some
modules.  The Module Manager does not allow copy and paste, but IIRC,
they were some 2.2.1 modules.

3. I opened up a Ptolemy model and saved it as a .kar:
    a. Help -> Kepler Documentation -> "background information on
Ptolemy" -> Quick Tour
    b. I then clicked on any model, in this case "Noise".
    c. File -> Save As -> Save as Noise.kar

4. Quit Kepler, then restarted Kepler

5. File -> Open, selected Noise.kar and it opened successfully.

The offending line at
at
org.kepler.gui.kar.OpenArchiveAction.actionPerformed(OpenArchiveAction.java:155)
is
           _lastDirectoryUsed =
LocalRepositoryManager.getInstance().getSaveRepository().getPath();

I checked in a change to the development trunk that prints a better
message if this error occurs.
I'm not sure why it would occur for you.  It looks
kepler/core/src/org/kepler/objectmanager/cache/LocalRepositoryManager.java
has a bug where the poorly named setLocalSaveRepo() method is not being
called.

The best way to track this down would be to move to using the Kepler
trunk and if the bug continues to occur, use the debugger.

One thing to try would be to remove the ~/.kepler and ~/KeplerData
directories.

_Christopher

On 10/17/11 9:51 AM, J. Marc Edwards wrote:
> I'm trying to open a Kepler workflow using the "File -> Open" on the
> GUI and am not receiving a file chooser window from which to select
> the workflow.
>
> This worked with no problem on this server that I am using this
> version 2.2 of Kepler.  However, I did notice that I was asked to
> upgrade a Kepler module last week when I was starting Kepler.
>
> I notice a Java exception message that is being printed when I try to
> open a file. I've pasted the messages below.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards, Marc
>
> jmedwards at beta:~$      [null] *Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
> java.lang.NullPointerException*
>      [null] at
> org.kepler.gui.kar.OpenArchiveAction.actionPerformed(OpenArchiveAction.java:155)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
>      [null] at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:357)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:809)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:850)
>      [null] at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6288)
>      [null] at
> javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
>      [null] at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6053)
>      [null] at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2041)
>      [null] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4651)
>      [null] at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2099)
>      [null] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4481)
>      [null] at
> java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4577)
>      [null] at
> java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4238)
>      [null] at
> java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4168)
>      [null] at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2085)
>      [null] at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
>      [null] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4481)
>      [null] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:643)
>      [null] at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)
>      [null] at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:602)
>      [null] at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:600)
>      [null] at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>      [null] at
> [...]

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670