[kepler-users] PN directors - mixing workflows

Michal Owsiak michal.owsiak at man.poznan.pl
Wed Nov 23 02:38:29 PST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to embed PN based composite actor within PN workflow. My
motivation is driven by the existing workflows which I want to combine.

However, I have encountered some issues.

First things first. If I understand this paper right:

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2007/EECS-2007-139.pdf

It should be possible to embed PN within PN (Table 1).

However, if I try to do so I am getting errors.

1. In case of "Will never start.kar" Kepler wraps up and nothing happens.

2. In case of "012 - Simple - PN inside PN.kar" I am getting an exception.

ptolemy.kernel.util.IllegalActionException: Receiver in the port:
.Simple - PN inside PN.CompositeActor.output is not a consumer receiver

3. In case of "013 - Simple - no domain inside PN.kar" everything is fine.

Why there are such differences in embedding PN inside PN?

Another question is. According to the paper:

"To determine which combinations are possible, we need to know two
things about a director:
1. What properties it assumes of the actors under its control, and
2. What properties it exports via the opaque composite actor in which it
is placed.
If a director’s exported properties match those assumed by another
director, then it can be used within that other director"

Is there any way of checking mentioned properties automatically?
What I mean here is - how can I decide which actor comply to director's
expectations? I want to base the decision neither on documentation nor
on experiments. I'd like to have general rule for checking.

What I imagine here is some sort of "script" that goes over actors'
classes/kars and by checking some properties (which?) tells whether
actor can be executed in given domain or not. Is that possible at all?
At least in theory?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards

Michal Owsiak

--
Michal Owsiak <michal.owsiak at man.poznan.pl>

Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry PAS
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center
Noskowskiego 12/14, 61-704 Poznan, POLAND

http://www.man.poznan.pl