[kepler-users] is Kepler development linked to NCEAS funding?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 3 08:31:04 PDT 2011

Hi David --

Kepler is not directly funded by NCEAS, except that NCEAS contributes
in-kind support to helping to maintain the project.  We've traditionally
supported Kepler on a variety of extramural grants, some of which are to
NCEAS (e.g., SEEK, REAP, SanParks), and others of which are to other
institutions (e.g., Kepler/CORE, Camera, PPod, etc.).  Most of these are
collaborative awards that involve at least several members of the Kepler
leadership team collaborating together across institutions.  We try to
maintain a diversity of funding streams so that we are less susceptible to
issues with a single stream running out.

NCEAS will have a reduction in funding and will be readjusting to
compensate for that, but we'll continue to operate on other funding and I
don't expect this to have a major impact on Kepler.  NCEAS does run the
mailing lists and source code repositories for Kepler (and many other
projects), but these are open and can easily be migrated if it were ever to
become an issue, which I don't expect at this time.

Matthew B. Jones
Director fo Informatics Research and Development
University of California, Santa Barbara