[kepler-users] dataflow using Kepler on Amazon EC2

Jianwu Wang jianwu at sdsc.edu
Mon Mar 28 14:08:07 PDT 2011

Hi Luqman,

     Please see my comments below.

On 3/25/2011 2:17 PM, Luqman Hodgkinson wrote:

> Hi Jianwu,
>
> After playing with Kepler, there are some questions I have.
>
> 1. All my Java classes are in the same project. There is only a single Main class. In order to use Kepler, must each class be converted to a .jar file individually? If so, the disadvantage to this is then that only command-line parameters can be passed in. How does the data flow between the classes? Must each class read input from files and write input to files? That is, what is the nature of your type system for passing data between components. Can data be passed directly through RAM or must it go through the file system?

      There is only ONE single Main class for all your classes? Do you
want Kepler to invoke the main class or build dataflow to connect your
classes? In Kepler, actors are elements to be connected in a workflow.
So I think you need to have actors to access your classes. One way is
build actors based on all your classes and connect them. Another way is
to build Web services based on your classes and using Kepler Web Service
actor to connect them. There might be easier ways,  but I don't have
them in my mind.

     Kepler supports file system based data passing (the input the
downstream actors could be the file url generated in upstream actors)
and memory based data passing (data contents are passed from one actor
to another via RAM).
> 2. Provenance is very important for my workflow. The workflow will be run multiple times and a large number of versions will be created. These should be organized somewhere on the file system with timestamps and descriptions of the versions of the workflows that were used. How much support does Kepler have for this?

     Provenance is supported in Kepler. Please check the Provenance
Documentation part at https://kepler-project.org/users/documentation. In
addition, Workflow Run Manager module in Kepler will show the different
executions of the same workflow. You should be able to use them in
Kepler 2.1:
https://kepler-project.org/users/whats-new/reporting-workflow-run-manager-provenance-and-tagging-add-on-module-suites-released-sept-30-2010.
> 3. Have you seen the new Conveyor paper? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=21278189 My requirements are very similar to those addressed in this paper. However, the current version of Conveyor does not seem very stable: I was even unable to get their graphical user interface running from their Java files. What are the capabilities of Kepler for this use case?
     I didn't check the details of the paper. So I can't answer your
question.